Tomorrow, people of DC! Hope you survived the afternoon storms Thursday without any problems. Check out the weather forecast for Friday below.
This weekend, FIFA officials are visiting DC to see if the region has what it takes to host 2026 World Cup matches in 2026. Police agencies appear to be prepared for this weekend’s “Justice for the J6” meeting. Will Trump supporters decide not to show up because of the expected strong police presence?
We also have coverage of Thursday’s fire in the future headquarters building for Metro.
Enjoy your Friday!
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Washington DC? Our local local sponsorships will stay at the top of inboxes around town every morning. Contact us here for the downturn.
First today’s weather:
Damp and mostly cloudy all day. High: 78 Low: 70.
Here are the best stories today in Washington DC:
- DC officials lobby FIFA officials to make DC host city for World Cup 2026 (Washington DC patch)
- DC firefighters bring fire to future metro headquarters under control (Washington DC Patch)
- 2 firefighters brought to hospital after massive high-rise fire breaks out in Southwest DC (WJLA)
- Justice for J6 Rally in DC This Weekend: What to Know (NBC4 Washington)
- Washington, DC prepares for Saturday’s Justice for J6 ‘meeting (CBS News)
- Some streets in Washington closed for Saturday’s protests (The Washington Post)
- Flood, flooding in force in DC area (NBC4 Washington)
- France cancels DC gala in anger over Biden sub-agreement | TheHill (The Hill)
- DC’s Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel to be converted to Senior Living (commercial observer)
- Georgetown Home Features Professionally Designed Private Garden (Washington DC Patch)
- In photos: 10th Twin Tiers Honor Flight mission to Washington, DC (WBNG-TV)
- Best Pizza Places in Washington DC: Check out our list (The DC Post)
- “People’s Tree” Will Travel Cross Country from California to Washington, DC (ABC10.com KXTV)
- Driving Without Insurance in Washington, DC (Bankrate.com)
- DC Mayor Muriel Bowser Submitted Comments to Washington Hebrew Congregation (WDVM 25)
- Mayor Bowser Announces QuickFire Challenge Award Winners Aimed at Dealing with Health Differences | mayormb (Mayor’s Executive Board)
- Mendelson and Bowser collide over STAY DC program (The Washington Informer)
- Taffer’s Tavern opens at Washington DC Stadium (Fast Casual)
- 3-to-3 ‘Hoop for Hope’ basketball tournament offers health clinic, COVID vaccines for DC (WJLA)
- Woman shot and killed while driving in southeast DC (NBC4 Washington)
- 7-year-old girl who died after fire identification in DC Row House (NBC4 Washington)
Today’s Washington DC Daily is brought to you by our friends at Verizon. They are building the fastest 5G network in the country. To learn how 5G is going to change the lives of you and your community – and to access this amazing technology – click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in Washington DC!
Today in Washington DC:
- Soar Together @ Air and Space Virtual Family Day: Astronomy Anywhere! (12:00)
- Cluster 2nd annual SCAVENGER HUNTING! – Stuart-Hobson Middle School (Capitol Hill Cluster) (12:00)
- No Kid Hungry ‘Rebuilding’ mural unveiling (9am)
- Cafécito con AP Berrocal – Oyster -Adams Bilingual School (9:00)
- Barnes Foundation Philadelphia – Smithsonian Online (10:00)
- Flights of Fancy Story Time: Once upon a time there was a sky full of stars (10:00)
- NMAAHC Kids: Joyful Fridays – Smithsonian Online (11:00 AM)
- Smithsonian Educator’s Day – Smithsonian Online (11:00 AM)
- Circular Weaving – Smithsonian Online (12:00)
- Palestinian Embroidery 101: The Tatreez Sampler Series (14.00)
- Discovery of South America – Smithsonian Online (18:00)
- Kick-off Event Fall Shabbat Clusters with EntryPointDC (Optional) (18:30)
- Adventure Theater presents Luchadora! (19.00)
- RECKLESS KELLY with TYLER & THE TRAIN ROBBERS in concert (19:30)
- Red will blue (20.00)
Washington DC patch book
- Washington DC: “Grab an ice cream cone from @cafegeorgetowndc before strolling through historic Georgetown! From local shops and beautiful gardens to charming townhouses and waterfront views, there’s plenty to see and do in DC’s oldest neighborhood. 💛 …” (Instagram)
- DC Public Library: “Celebrate the kick-off of Hispanic Heritage Month with an after-school party! Join Mr. Lilo and his many guitars for a festive bilingual performance of music, canciones, y baile. This program is made possible thanks to the West End Li …” (Facebook)
- DC Public Library: “Stretch, tie and move with your baby. Led by certified yoga instructor Stephanie. This program is possible thanks to West End Library Friends. Yoga is a physical activity. Be aware of potential risks and consult with …” (Facebook)
- DC Public Library: “Welcome to DC Library Virtual Story Time! Today we use scarves or ribbons to wave and sing. If you have a favorite scarf or ribbon, come and sing with me.” (Facebook)
- Washington DC VA Medical Center: “Members of our VA Community Clinic in Montgomery County Maryland were recognized by VA Secretary Denis McDonough, Senator Van Hollen, Congressman Trone and DC VAMC Leadership for their commitment to providing high quality safe care to Vetera …” (Facebook)
- Visit Washington DC: “From curated items in Salt & Miscellaneous to Cuban coffee from the Colada Shop to delicious oysters at the Pearl Dive Oyster Palace, the 14th Street NW scene offers a unique experience for everyone. 😍 #ExperienceDC #MyDCcool” (Facebook)
- Visit Washington DC: “Lions and tigers and pandas, oh my! Before visiting the National Zoo, check updated information on hours, timed access cards and security protocols. 💯 #MyDCcool #ExperienceDC” (Facebook)
- DC Mayor’s Office for Latin Affairs: “Mayor Bowser’s Office of Latin Affairs congratulates all Latinos living in Washington DC on the start of Hispanic Heritage Month. Washington DC is a city that welcomes all its immigrants with its arms …” (Facebook)
- DC Mayor’s Office for Latin Affairs: “These are the walk-in test and vaccination sites. For more information on the vaccine visit: http://vaccines.gov Remember, vaccinations and tests are FREE.” (Facebook)
- DC Mayor’s Office for Asian and Pacific Islanders: “Today, MOAPIA joined the Fourth Mothers and Infants Summit, where @mayor_bowser reaffirmed the district’s commitment to protecting mothers ‘and infants’ health. Don’t forget to attend tomorrow’s virtual sessions! #DCMaternalHealth” (Facebook)
- DC Mayor’s Office for Asian and Pacific Islanders: “Are you struggling to pay rent and utilities as a result of the pandemic? #STAYDC can help. Contact our office today to book an appointment! Our office is open and stays late every Wednesday to help you apply for #STAYDC.” (Facebook)
- DC Mayor’s Office for Latin Affairs: “Director Jackie Reyes Yanes commented to GWHCC – Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce on behalf of Mayor Bowser to start Expo Business. Mayor Muriel Bowser creates roads for the middle class of DC Latinos …” (Facebook)
- DC Mayor’s Office for Asian and Pacific Islanders: “Today, MOAPIA joined the 4th Meeting and Infant Health Summit, where @mayor_bowser reaffirmed the district’s commitment to protecting mothers ‘and infants’ health. Don’t forget to attend tomorrow’s virtual sessions too! #DCMaternalHealth” (Facebook)
- DC Department of Public Works: “Summer is a busy time for cleaning farmhouses! DPW is your resource for picking up farm waste. Schedule your pickup early at 311.dc.gov!” (Facebook)
- District of the Ministry of Transport: “Virtual public meeting TONIGHT for Southern Avenue, SE Roadway Project design. This project will bring safety changes and sustainable infrastructure to the corridor. To attend 👇🏾 👇🏾: 🗓️ September 15 | 18:00 – 19:00 🖥️ http: // r … “(Facebook)
- DC Mayor’s Office for Asian and Pacific Islanders: “Join @mayor_bowser for the #MaternalMondays Live! Health Series on Monday, September 20 at 6pm! This live event features special presentations, breathing exercises and” Mommy Love “panel discussion. RSVP today: eventbrite.com/e/ comrade … “(Facebook)
- DC office for cable TV, movies, music and entertainment: “It’s finally here !!!! All your favorite original content is now available anytime, anywhere !!! #DCE, District of Columbia Entertainment Network, delivers FREE lifestyle, public affairs, live events, sports, art and entertainment programs. “(Facebook)
- DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities: “Please attend the Argentine Embassy for the opening of Ilusión del Sur + Cruzando la Línea. Two projects where a concern for family and institutional archives crosses the artist’s approach to organs in transformation, organs of …” (Facebook)
- DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities: “Creative Forces, a National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) initiative in partnership with the Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs, seeks to improve the health, well-being and quality of life of military service members and veterinarians …” (Facebook)
- District of the Ministry of Transport: “Park (ing) Day 2021 in #DC is THIS Friday (9/17)! From 9:00 to 16:00, come by to see both the @DDOTDC & @godcgo teams at 600 Block of Pennsylvania Avenue SE ! 📸 a cool picture of the parquet design, and enjoy all the FREE #giveaways. # … “(Facebook)
- District of the Ministry of Transport: “1️⃣ More day for # Parkeringsdag2021, #DC. Let’s throw it back to #Parkeringsdag 2019 with a few cool photos! #Parkeringsdag #ReimagineStreets” (Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting local news!
If you find this overview helpful, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Mark Hand
Do you have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming DC roundup? You can reach me at [email protected]