City leaders in Los Angeles approved an ordinance Tuesday that would prevent protests within 300 feet of the home belonging to the person targeted, a move that came after months of demonstrations outside the public and elected officials.
City council voted 12 to 2 to approve the measure, with councilors Mike Bonin and Nithya Raman disagreeing. A second reading – usually a formality – will be held on 21 September for the regulation to enter into force.
ROBERT DURST MURDER TRIAL Attorney says prosecutors are demonized ‘sick old man’
The ordinance was requested by Council President Nury Martinez and Councilor Mitch O’Farrell, who were targeting protesters against vaccines last month. On August 29, a protester at a rally in Santa Monica shared their home addresses and urged people to show up at the homes if they voted to approve a decree requiring partial proof of vaccination before they could enter most indoors room.
“We have one week to stop (vaccinations) passports … if it is unanimous, we have lost,” one protester said. “Sharpen your knives, get your weapons, get your food now. We’ll find out who voted yes, and you show up at their house. We have to scare these people.”
“No employees, none of our family members should be subjected to this kind of treatment. My address and my home are not a public place where you can come and protest,” she added.
After the rally, protesters, including gubernatorial recall candidate David Alexander Bramante, showed up at the homes of Martinez and O’Farrell.
“I had a group of people showing up at my door, knocking on my door, knocking on my windows, harassing my neighbors, screaming obscenities into my daughter’s bedroom and shouting at bullhorns begging me to come out and threaten my life, “Martinez said, according to the City News Service. “Members, honestly, I’m done with it all. I’m done with the threats … I’m ready to put an end to this.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Several members of the public called for opposition to the measure, calling it a violation of their rights to the First Amendment. Some said they would sue the city if the regulation goes into effect. A draft executive order states that anyone found guilty of an offense can be sued for damages and fined up to $ 1,000.