Thursday, December 2, 2021
Home > CANADA > Toronto Transit Association wants TTC CEO grass over Osgoode near-miss

Toronto Transit Association wants TTC CEO grass over Osgoode near-miss

Toronto Transit Association wants TTC CEO grass over Osgoode near-miss

TTC commissioners did not learn about the 2020 imminent disaster until details were leaked to a Toronto newspaper over the summer

Article content

Claiming a cover-up, the city’s transit association wants TTC’s CEO on the next train out of town over a shocking near-miss last year in Toronto’s subway system.

Article content

In a statement issued Wednesday, ATU Local 113 president Carlos Santos insisted that someone in the Transit Commission’s leadership should be held responsible for the near-collision between two subway trains last June near Osgoode Station.

“That someone could only be CEO,” Santos said. “Who else would have the authority to hold such a large event under cover?”

Even TTC commissioners had no idea about the incident in June 2020 – a subway train apparently did not obey a red signal and ran almost into the side of a passing train – until details were leaked to Toronto Star three months ago.

A northbound train had stopped at St. Andrew station for a medical call as it was cleared of passengers and ordered by rail traffic controllers into a “pocket lane” to let another northbound train pass.

Article content

Video of the incident shows the sideline train moving back onto the main track, but suddenly stops as the second, fully loaded train passes by, avoiding a collision with just meters.

At a TTC board meeting in July, transit commissioners expressed dismay at reading about disaster in a newspaper — almost a year after the fact — instead of first-hand from the TTC management.

“I will never ever be in the situation where I first hear about it from the public,” said Commissioner Shelley Carroll during the meeting.

Santos shared Carroll’s feelings.

Sorry, this video could not be loaded.

“It was truly unforgivable that the person in charge of TTC should not inform the commission, the board, the mayor and the public that Toronto’s subway had been less than a second from a terrible disaster,” Santos said.

“The fact that the Commission now strictly requires public reporting of such close calls underscores how wrong this attempt at cover-up was.”

A final report on the incident is expected early next year.

[email protected]
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *