Saturday, November 27, 2021
Home > U.K-NEWS > Families and survivors are still seeking answers to my disaster in Gleision | Wales

Families and survivors are still seeking answers to my disaster in Gleision | Wales

Surviving families and survivors of a mine dredging in South Wales, where four men died exactly 10 years ago, are calling for further investigations into the disaster.

Relatives say they still do not have the answers to why their loved ones were killed at the Gleision colliery on 15 September 2011, one of Britain’s worst mining disasters in recent years.

Miners Philip Hill, 44, Charles Breslin, 62, David Powell, 50, and Garry Jenkins, 49, died when 3,000 cubic meters of water — enough to fill an Olympic-size swimming pool — poured into the Swansea Valley area where they worked. .

The Colliery boss and the company that owned Gleision were cleared of offenses following a lawsuit in 2014, and no full investigation has been conducted.

Peter Hain, the former Welsh secretary and then MP for Neath, said on Wednesday: “There are still lots of unanswered, unexplained questions about this tragedy. I pressed hard for an inquiry or query at the time to determine the cause.

“Why were the men driving straight towards a massive pool of old mine water when the pool was clearly shown on the underground map they were working from? Families are haunted by questions and deserve proper answers. ”

A memorial is unveiled in a park near the town hall where families gathered ten years ago to hear the news.

On the day of the tragedy, explosives were detonated to bring down a coal surface 275 meters from the entrance to break through old works, improve ventilation and extend the life of the site, one of the last small mines in South Wales.

Three of the workers managed to crawl or crawl away. Four were caught by the stream of dark, cold, silt-filled water and had no chance of escaping.

Colliery manager Malcolm Fyfield, who was working in the mine at the time, broke down in tears after being found not guilty of four charges of manslaughter following a three-month trial at Swansea Crown Court. The owner of the mine, MNS Mining, was also acquitted of manslaughter charges.

The trial highlighted the extraordinary conditions the men worked in, where some of the tunnels were lower than a kitchen countertop, forcing them to crawl through on hands and knees.

Fyfield said he had inspected behind the coal surface on three occasions, the last time just the day before and had not found significant water there. He claimed that water must have migrated into the area through the porous sandstone in the few hours after his last inspection.

Jake Wyatt, a survivor who worked as a fitter in the mine, has told the BBC Wales program Trapped Underground: The Gleision Mine Disaster that he felt there were still questions to be answered. He said: “My opinion was that all this should be swept under the rug. No one wanted to know anything about it, and it went from being such a high-profile case to nothing within a few years. ”

His co-survivor Nigel Evans added: “As it is now, no one has been blamed. Someone has to take responsibility for four bodies, four men, four lives. ”

Lynette Powell, whose husband, David, celebrated his 50th birthday in the weeks before he died, said: “I have not received a lawsuit. Not just for me, for all the families. “Berlin’s widow, Mavis, said she felt” cheated on a man and a lawsuit “.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *