Fewer homes are now being proposed for the redevelopment of the Balfour block in the Fairview neighborhood of Vancouver.
A revised re-regulation application for the 2.3-hectare urban block website at 906-982 West 18th Avenue and 907-969 West 19th Avenue by local developer Wesgroup calls for a six-floor rental building, a six-floor condominium with roof terrace and babysitting on the ground floor, and seven three to four-floor townhouses buildings.
There will now be 208 homes – a decrease from the previously proposed 241 homes, where the reduction largely comes from reducing the number of terraced houses.
The revised proposal requires 58 terraced houses, 51 owner-occupied flats and 99 secured rental homes, of which 25% is set aside for sub-market interest rates and the remaining 75% as market prices. The previous proposal required 100% market prices for the rental housing component.
The total floor area has been reduced to 205,000 square feet from the 220,000 square feet of the previous proposal. Consequently, the density of the floor area ratio (FAR) has decreased to a floor area that is 1.89 times the lot size from 2.16 FAR. The childcare component is approximately 4,600 square feet, large enough for 37 children.
Formwerks Architecture’s design for the project previously had a faux European heritage character, but during consultation earlier this year it received criticism for being “very uniform and institutional” and a mismatch to “the rich variety of the neighborhood, with a wonderful palette of eclectic character and a lots of greenery and garden. ”
The architect’s revised design carries a west coast and Scandinavian-inspired character with changes in some of the buildings’ shapes and the height of the terraced houses. The tallest buildings remain at about 83 feet (25 m).
An extensive public area consisting of pedestrian streets, open areas and a public park in the south-east corner of the site is proposed.
If approved, the project will generate about $ 4.75 million in development costs for the city and about $ 407,000 in public art grants. Contributions in kind include $ 3.6 million for the child care facility and $ 200,000 for the park’s construction value.
To support the project, there would be a total of 255 parking stalls for cars and 502 bicycle parking spaces in the underground levels. This is lower than 334 parking bays for cars and 630 bicycle parking spaces in the original re-regulation application.
Currently, the large property is occupied by two-story duplex buildings built in the 1950s.