Sunday, December 5, 2021
Home > AUSTRALIA > Australian defense force deployed at ACT limits as COVID cases increase | The Canberra Times

Australian defense force deployed at ACT limits as COVID cases increase | The Canberra Times

Australian defense force deployed at ACT limits as COVID cases increase |  The Canberra Times

coronavirus,

The Australian Defense Force will be deployed to halt the unauthorized flow of traffic from NSW to ACT for the first time in the coming days, following ongoing reports of the virus coming in across the border. Prime Minister Andrew Barr said work had been underway for several weeks to bring the ADF in to help patrol the borders. “There will be boots on the ground,” Mr Barr said. He said talks had been underway with the Commonwealth to prevent illegal travel into the ACT and, along with ACT Policing and State Emergency Services, that operations would soon be underway. Police have already intensified operations at the ACT border ahead of school holidays with warnings of compliance checks will continue at various entry points over the next few weeks. Drivers attempting to enter the ACT from NSW on Federal Highway on Friday were asked for exemption and boundary declaration cards during a joint operation with NSW police. Fifteen cars were rejected before noon and police reported the majority had traveled from Sydney or Goulburn. It comes as NSW registered 1284 new COVID cases, three of them in Goulburn. The ACT registered 30 new cases of coronavirus on Friday, 14 of which had spent time in the community while contagious. ACT Road Policing Detective Acting Superintendent Donna Hofmeier said the majority claimed to travel to the workplace, but entry was not allowed without permission. “There are health directives that restrict the movement of people across the border, and with the school holidays begun, everyone must remember that the rules of lockdown still apply,” said acting superintendent Hofmeier. Checkpoints were set up on Federal Highway, Canberra Avenue, Lanyon Drive and Monaro Highway this week, with key workers traveling from Queanbeyan reporting delays. READ MORE COVID-19 NEWS: More than 4,300 cars were stopped on the first day of operation Thursday, with more than 20,000 checking vehicle compliance since the lockdown began. Fines have been issued for travelers from NSW who have proven to have deliberately tried to break the rules. “Canberra residents cannot host visitors from NSW, and Canberrans cannot go on holiday in NSW,” she said. Our journalists work hard to deliver local, up-to-date news to the community. Here’s how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/fin3bsvV4zEfEw92kZxvs/56aa76e5-267b-4705-bfa5-22389d04424d.jpg/r11_127_5000_2946_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *