Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Home > AUSTRALIA > NSW COVID Query to Focus on Western Sydney | Campbelltown-Macarthur Advertiser

NSW COVID Query to Focus on Western Sydney | Campbelltown-Macarthur Advertiser

NSW COVID Query to Focus on Western Sydney |  Campbelltown-Macarthur Advertiser

A NSW parliamentary inquiry into the state’s Delta coronavirus outbreak is resuming as more regional areas switch in and out of lockdown.

The upper house public accountability committee is investigating the state government’s handling of the current outbreak and will hold a further hearing on Friday.

Committee chairman David Shoebridge said the virtual consultation would focus on issues in Sydney’s south, with local mayors, ethnic leaders and government officials to speak.

“The committee will take evidence from those who have borne the brunt of the government’s closure of certain Sydney LGAs, with particular focus also on the administration of the justice system in this extremely difficult time,” said the NSW Green MP.

It happens when Lismore and Albury have been locked up again for at least the next seven days after three cases were discovered across the two areas.

The sources of the infections in both regions are unknown, but Deputy Director of Health Marianne Gale suspects they are linked to Sydney.

The Lismore case has prompted a change in the “border bubble” scheme that the Queensland and NSW governments negotiated a few days ago.

With the city of Lismore again declared a restricted zone, anyone who has been in the area for the last 14 days will now not be able to enter Queensland.

The cross-border community in Wodonga has not joined Albury in the lockdown, but Victorian Prime Minister Daniel Andrews pointed out that there could be some “knock-on effects”.

Just hours before Lismore and Albury were thrown back into lockdown, orders to stay at home were lifted in 12 other regions.

NSW reported 1351 new local cases of COVID-19 and 12 deaths in 24 hours to 8pm on Wednesday, bringing the toll for the three-month virus outbreak to 210.

Twelve people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 across three social housing units in inner Sydney Redfern.

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said it was another example of the virus “effectively identifying and moving into the socially disadvantaged”.

A mobile vaccination team visits each tower building to provide vaccinations to the residents.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister John Barilaro revealed that the NSW government has drafted a “draft” to reopen the roadmap for when the state reaches 80 percent double-dose vaccination in its eligible population.

It follows that the government last week announced its plans to restore some liberties to the fully vaccinated with 70 percent double-dose vaccination coverage.

Australian Associated Press

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *