Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Home > AUSTRALIA > Lockdown in Melbourne: Private inspections in a household are allowed

Lockdown in Melbourne: Private inspections in a household are allowed

Lockdown in Melbourne: Private inspections in a household are allowed

Covid-safe property inspection is allowed in Melbourne from Saturday.


Relief is in sight for thousands of homeowners in Melbourne, with Prime Minister Daniel Andrews announcing a easing of restrictions as the city reaches its 70 per cent first-dose vaccination rate.

From Saturday, it is allowed to carry out private inspections for new purchases and in case of rental conditions for a household only via a booking system.

The agent must remain outside and the seller or tenant will have to leave the property “during the time the inspection takes place,” Andrews said.

RELATED: Ballarat real estate fell in snap lockdown

Desperate buyers die for illegal inspections

Spring home projects to do during lockdown

Auction image

Auctions remain online for now. Photo: Andrew Henshaw


There were no announcements about changes to auctions limited to online sales.

Andrews said the changes were “modest but significant” and the real estate industry would “greatly appreciate those changes”.

He said the government would hold talks with the industry to ensure the changes were understood.

The Prime Minister also announced a ban on construction workers from both regional and metro areas traveling back and forth across the capital region border to help stop the spread of viruses.

Construction workers across the state must also show their employer proof that they have had at least one dose of the vaccine by noon. 23:59 on September 23 to be allowed to work.

“The requirement is that the employer does not have unvaccinated people on site,” Andrews said Thursday.

“We’ve seen many, many cases, and we need to make sure we don’t see more in this industry.”

That comes as new research from realestate.com.au reveals that concerned sellers caused the number of new properties listed across Melbourne in August to drop as much as 27.1 per cent month-on-month.

According to the September PropTrack Listings Report, the largest listing declines were in the inner (-34.3 percent) and southeastern (-29.4 percent) suburbs, while regional Victoria saw an 11 percent increase.

The REA group’s director of economic research Cameron Kusher said that although lockdowns had “affected suppliers’ readiness to list, buyer demand has not been subdued”.

»Query to agents on realestate.com.au hit a historic high in August, so did

number of views per list, ”he said.

“With ongoing high levels of buyer demand and sellers delaying listing through lockdown, we expect new listings to increase rapidly as restrictions ease.”

Earlier this week, President of the Real Estate Institute of Victoria (REIV) Leah Calnan said it was “crucial that all properties are available for viewing, not just vacant”.

“Allowing the public to inspect just vacant homes is not the solution,” she said.

She also called for property photographers and stylists to be allowed.

“I hear photographers are booked for 2-3 weeks after the 23rd (the original expected 70 percent wax date), which in turn will add further pressure,” she said.

Andrews said he would seek clarification on whether such works would be allowed.

Sign up for the Herald Sun Weekly Real Estate Update. Click here to have the latest Victorian real estate market news delivered straight to your inbox.

MORE: Lower Plenty pad inspired by Finnish modernism

Median house price in Melbourne wins $ 500 a day

Huon Hills Escape has panoramic views of Lake Hume

[email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *